Congregation Beth Evergreen, Evergreen CO
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director plays a key role in performing / overseeing / coordinating the administrative and operational functions of the congregation as directed by the Board of Directors. This position has direct interface with rabbinic colleagues, committee chairs, congregants, and all others in establishing and enhancing spiritual community and may provide recommendations to Board on policy and procedures. Reports to President (and Executive Committee). Is often the first contact with prospective members, members and the community.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starter with great organizational skills, politically astute, proactive, able to manage direct reports, responsive to email, phone calls and direct interactions, maintains confidentiality, and has effective time management skills. Understanding of finances, operations, programming, fundraising, The Executive Director together with our Rabbi serves as the face to the congregation and is a role model for developing and maintaining relationships with the congregation, guests and greater community. Key attributes include:
· The ideal candidate will be a creative and warm people person who will lead a collaborative effort to implement short-term and long-term strategies to ensure that CBE meets its membership, religious school, youth enrollment and financial objectives.
· The Executive Director is responsible for representing and marketing CBE to prospective members to bring new members and new students to CBE, retaining current CBE members, and increasing individuals’ personal and financial engagement.
· The Executive Director reports to the President and should work collaboratively and strategically with clergy, staff, volunteers, and the Board of Directors to develop and coordinate CBE’s kehillah engagement process. Essentially the Executive Director serves as CBE’s “Chief Operating Officer” and membership director (with volunteer support).
· The position entails developing a thorough understanding of CBE’s people, programs, and approach to represent our core values and position the CBE for success in the mission of expanding the congregations reach within the local communities and position CBE to reach beyond the local markets.
· The Executive Director should join NATA and the local affiliate Executive Director group MATSA to build relationships and garner knowledge as to what is happening within the synagogues in the marketplace in our geographic reach.
· The Covid-19 pandemic has made the need for community more profound than ever and has dramatically increased online participation in CBE’s activities. The Executive Director will work with the Rabbi and others to build regional and out of town ‘distant’ member programs in addition to the present offerings.
Interpersonal Characteristics, Core Competencies & Management Skills
o Self-starter and superior organizational skills. Demonstrates ability to effectively address multiple priorities / issues and complete multiple activities with limited supervision.
o Politically astute, demonstrates superior inter-personal skills and possesses ability to interact with and accomplish tasks working with others with varying personalities.
o Customer service orientation with high empathy and emotional intelligence.
o Must be available on weekends and weeknights to attend CBE events and meetings.
o Proactive – sees the big picture and addresses items (escalating to others, if needed) before they evolve into critical issues.
o Ability to appropriately and effectively delegate and ensure delegated tasks are effectively completed in a timely manner.
o Strong ability to supervise direct reports (effective management, delegation, oversight and rendering constructive feedback) and effectively “manage” congregational lay leaders.
o Responsive (to emails, calls, interactions) and demonstrates ability to promptly follow-up in a timely manner. Consistently dependable, reliable and responsive.
o Maintains confidentiality in sensitive situations and demonstrated ability to deal with a broad range of people with sensitivity, respect, compassion and confidentiality.
o Skillful communicator with effective written and oral communication skills.
o Ensures written communications with membership and CBE leaders are of utmost quality and error-free.
o Effective time management skills.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com